Do you want a harness that fits your small dog comfortably while also providing you with complete control?
We’ve put together a detailed review of the top dog harnesses available for smaller dogs. One of the biggest problems that people encounter when looking for harnesses suitable for their dogs is the fitting.
If it doesn’t fit right, it can cause harm to your dog. It also means that they have an easier chance to escape the harness.
However, that’s why we’ve decided to carry out the research for you. Maybe you want a harness that’s quick and easy to attach and detach.
Others may be after harnesses that are extremely secure and stable to keep their dogs safe on adventures.
Regardless of what you need it for, our review includes a good range of different harnesses. All you have to do is select the one that you think is the most suitable for you and your dog.
BARKBAY Dog Harness
BARKBAYS dog harness is made for owners who want control options while walking their dogs. You can alter the intensity of control you have over your dog too. So, it’s great for the training stages, as well as when they’re a fully-grown dog.
- EVERYDAY DOG HARNESS: This No Pull Dog medium Harness is Constructed from lightweight No Rip Nylon and Anti-Chafe Padding,Perfect for running, hiking and walking
- GREAT FOR PULLERS: No pull Front leadinghalt ring for more control helping you train them to heel and to stop pulling! and D-ring on the back for more relaxed walks.Also with Anti-chafe padding, Pressure is Evenly Distributed to the Body to Prevent Pulling and Choking
- Easy to put on and take off on your dog hassle free,Unique Adjustable Strap Design for a secure, comfy fit,4 points of adjustment for a near custom fit
- Ultra Reflective Strips to keep your dog visible even at night
- Top Easy Lift Handle for extra safety and control
Control & Comfort
BARKBAYS small dog harness comes with a great anti-pull/tug feature. As a result, you’re able to have complete control while walking your dog for maximum security.
You get to utilize two leach connection locations. There’s a D-ring found on the back. The benefit of this is that you can take your dog on more casual walks without as much control.
However, if you’re trying to train your pet, using the O-ring attachment would be more beneficial. It’s located on the chest and enables you to have more control over your puppy. This is fantastic if you’re in the training process.
This harness has also been designed with comfort in mind. Therefore, it’s very ergonomic and comfortable for your dog. The belly and chest panels are padded with soft materials. So, you can take them on long walks while ensuring they’re comfortable.
In addition to this design, you can adjust the fit of this harness to suit your dog best. They are incredibly easy to attach and detach too.
Not only is this harness comfortable and secure – it’s also very stylish. The materials are made with Oxford material. This is fantastic for resisting scratches and remaining durable.
BARKBAY has taken things to new heights in terms of their materials. Reflective luminous fabrics and threads have been incorporated too. Therefore, you can take your dogs on safer walks in the dark.
- Anti-pull/tug feature for more control
- Ergonomic & soft harness for comfort
- Durable materials
- Reflective gear for safe walks at night
- Too big for some dogs
- Plastic materials could be stronger
Your dog will be completely comfortable and secure while you use this harness. It’s great for night time walks and the strong materials ensure it will last you a while.
Buddy Belt Classic Dog Harness
If you’re having a hard time finding a harness small enough for your dog, Buddy Belt’s Classic could be what you’ve been looking for. Using their sizing chart makes finding the perfect fit easier than ever.
- LONG STANDING REPUTATION. Buddy Belts has been making luxury dog harnesses and various pet products since 1997.
- PLEASE CHECK SIZE CHART BEFORE ORDERING - TENDS TO RUN SMALL**
- STRONG & DURABLE. Made with welded metal hardware to add durability and premium construction to every Buddy Belt.
- PREMIUM LEATHER AND MANUFACTURING. Each Buddy Belt is double layer, stitched leather to increase the durability and product life.
Comfort & Design
Buddy Belt understand that many regular dog harnesses can cause harm to your dog. The way many of them fit can the neck and throat. However, the design of Buddy Belt’s harness avoids this.
They’ve incorporated a design around the trachea. This design has been approved by vets for safety. It prevents the harness from pulling on your dog’s neck. Instead, any of the pressure pushes against their chest with less force.
Moreover, this belt only comes with a single buckle. As a result, the amount of pulling causes is automatically reduced. This feature also makes attaching and detaching the harness super easy.
We were impressed by the standard of materials used to make this harness. The one that stood out to us was the high-quality leather.
It has been double-layered and stitched tightly to ensure maximum durability and comfort for your dog.
Extremely robust metal is also used. It has been welded and adds a great deal to the overall durability and quality of this harness.
- Approved by vets for safety
- One buckle for easy attachment/detachment
- High-quality leather materials
- Durable welded metal for longevity
- Outer leather layer may wear down over time
- Some dogs can easily chew through soft materials
Owners concerned about harnesses being uncomfortable for their dogs will feel at ease while using this Buddy Classic Harness. Vets have approved it! Not to mention, it will last you for years to come.
Ruffwear Dog Harness
Ruffwear’s harness for dogs is an ideal option if you’re searching for a secure way to bring your dog with you on your adventures.
- ROCK CLIMB READY: Designed to safely bring your dog's adventures to great heights; Ideal for difficult to access outdoor areas, rough terrain, scrambles, hikes, and backpacking
- STRENGTH-RATED: A tried-and-true piece of adventuring equipment, the Doubleback is designed to lift and lower your canine climbers in exposed areas
- BUILT FOR THE LIFT: Primary tie-in point at center-back of harness for easy rope attachment; Additional loops along the length of the harness for increased stability; Carabiner friendly
- SAFE AND SECURE: Anodized aluminum buckles for increased durability; 7 points of adjustment for a customizable, secure fit; Reinforced lift-and-assist handle
- COMFORTABLE CONSTRUCTION: Padded belly support and leg loops provide equal load distribution and stability; Leg loops are stowable for increased mobility
Ruffwear’s dog harness is equipped with a remarkably strong belay harness. Therefore, people love using this harness to keep their dogs secure while on adventures.
We appreciated how this harness has an impressive strength rating of 2,000 lbs.
Furthermore, the support for your dog’s belly is made with soft padded materials. So, you can feel confident in knowing your pet will be completely secure and safer.
In addition to the padded belly support, the leg loops are created to provide incredible support too. They work to ensure the weight distribution remains as even as possible for added stability and comfort.
Materials & Easy Use
The buckles used to construct this harness are super durable. They’ve implemented anodized aluminium materials. Your dog is being supported by heavy-weight materials.
We liked how there is a total of seven adjustment points. The outcome is complete comfort and safety for your dog. You can adjust it exactly to your dog, even if they grow bigger.
Customers are liking how there’s a simple rope system connector. It’s located on the back of the harness and acts as a central point for attachments/detachments.
Furthermore, people are also appreciating how there’s a pouch that has a zipper. This lets you easily store away various attachments while you’re not using it.
- Extremely secure for adventures
- Durable buckles increase support
- 7 adjustment points for perfect fitting
- Easy rope attachment/detachment
- Zippered pouch for storage
- Straps are easily chewable
With the rope design and extremely secure features, we recommend this harness highly for people who are outdoors. It’s one of the strongest harnesses we’ve come across, so it’s great for adventures where you need added stability.
Dean & Tyler DT Dog Harness
The price often scares people from this harness – having said that, these customers are pleasantly surprised by how well it’s constructed.
- Easy to put on and take off
- Perfect for any weather
- Has 3 D rings and a Handle
- Easy to use and take care off
Dean & Tyler has created a great small dog harness that you can use in all kinds of weather conditions.
They’ve implemented excellent waterproof fabrics which allow you to take your dogs on walks in the rain without the harness becoming damaged.
The double-ply features and stitched design add a fantastic element of durability to this harness. It has been crafted by hand to provide you with a heavy-duty and stable harness.
However, it’s also incredibly lightweight too. This makes taking your dog on a walk feel even more effortless.
In addition to that, a neoprene nylon reflective fabric has been included as well. Therefore, you’re able to walk your dog in the dark safer.
Ease of Use
Not only is this dog harness durable and secure, it’s also pretty easy to use and maintain.
It comes with a total of three D-rings to allow you to attach the harness to your dog with ease. This feature means that you can easily connect the harness and detach it afterwards.
The built-in handle also means that you can run or bike alongside your dog while having a secure grip on the harness.
The materials are also very easy to wash too.
- Simple to attach/detach
- Waterproof materials
- Durable quality fabrics
- Lightweight design
- Reflective strips for safer night time walks
- Little bulky for some
- Buckle latch isn’t tight enough for some
This Dean & Tyler harness features some fantastic elements that improve the security of your dog while walking them. You’ll also appreciate the fabrics for safer night time walks that can be done in any weather condition.
Blueberry Pet Soft Dog Harness
We liked how this dog harness has unique features then ensure it will last you for many years. The company has also included some excellent security features that make it easy to use.
- Chest Girth 22-26.5", Neck 17.5-26", Chest Strap 11.5", Medium; The chest strap is not adjustable. For a safe and fit purchase, be sure to check the neck and chest and read the product description to find how to adjust the harness
- The harness does not stretch itself. NEVER leave your dog unattended with a harness on. A properly fitting collar and harness won't leave any room for your dog to chew
- Made with light weight, soft and optimal mesh, oxford and polyester materials. Buckles are made from eco-friendly plastic. The metal D ring is matt grey coated to add durability
- Be sure the D-ring stay on the back of your furry friend for leashing. Blueberry Pet logo should be under the neck of your furry friend. This harness is a single product. Its matching collar (B017UAJZLC) /leash (B01LWN6HZR) sold separately
- All pictures are taken with our production samples from a size 22-26.5"(chest girth) * 17.5-26"(neck). Wipe to clean.
Blueberry Pet Soft’s dog harness is made to be incredibly comfortable. How have the achieved this?
We were impressed by how this brand has used mesh, polyester, and oxford fabrics that are all incredibly soft. Furthermore, they are super lightweight too. Therefore, you don’t have to worry about the harness being heavy to handle or weighing down on your dog’s neck.
When it comes to the buckles, we found them to be extremely sturdy. They’ve been constructed with plastics that are friendly to the environment too.
There is a D-ring that is located in an area that makes attaching and detaching the harness very easy. It’s also been covered in a grey finish to boost the durability.
Many other dog harnesses are made with soft materials, which is great for the dog. But that also means that they can easily chew through the fabrics.
When it comes to this Blueberry Pet Soft’s harness, you can be sure your dog won’t be able to chew it.
However, you must ensure to pick out the best fit. The correct size will mean your dog doesn’t have the room to chew the materials.
As far as the harness itself, we were surprised to find that it’s anti-stretch. This provides you with an incredible level of security over a long period of time. Since the harness doesn’t loosen up, you’re given ultimate control to keep your dog sage.
- Mesh, polyester, & oxford materials are super comfortable
- Durable buckle
- Easy to use D-ring
- Harness doesn’t stretch over time
- Too stiff for some
- No adjustable features
Many customers have noticed that their dogs actually enjoy wearing this leash. It’s not a surprise when you consider the quality of materials used. The anti-stretch harness is also awesome for having complete control over your pet to make walks more enjoyable.
Things to Consider
Prior to purchasing a small dog harness, you’ll want to think about some factors to take into consideration. You need a harness that’s beneficial for both you and your pet.
Therefore, we recommend starting off thinking about how you’ll be using the harness. For example, if you need something that’s extra stable and secure for adventures, the Ruffwear dog harness would be best.
If you want something to keep your dog safe on night time walks, the BARKBAY harness would be the most suitable choice.
Furthermore, it’s also important to consider your dog. If they’re highly active, you’re going to need a harness that gives you the most control. The harness also needs to be able to get pulled around without damaging easily.
Maybe you’re just after an easy-to-use harness to keep your dog safe, with no hassle. In which case, a harness that has convenient attachment and detachment features would suit you best.
Lastly, be sure to think about the amount that you’re willing to spend on a harness. While searching for harnesses online, you will have come across tons of different options at wildly varying prices.
Your budget is important; however, you’ll be limiting yourself in terms of quality and durability if it’s too low. So, it may be worth it to spend a little extra as it allows you to pick a harness that will last you for a while.
Use our review to help you weigh up the different options available to you.
Make sure to use the above section as a criteria list to help you pick the harness that suits you and your dog the best.