If you like taking your pets along with you for your weekend trips and outdoor adventures, then you’ll definitely need a pet barrier that will ensure that your pet is confined to a place in your vehicle. A pet barrier also allows you concentrate on the road while you are driving and also provide your pets with its own private space. These car pet barriers are available in various sizes, types and materials providing you an option to choose the one that ideally fits into your car. In this article, we’ll look at the best car pet barriers along with additional information like what is a pet barrier, why you need it and what to look for while buying one etc.
- 1 What is a Car Pet Barrier?
- 2 Why you need a pet barrier?
- 3 Highland 2004500 Black Universal Pet Barrier
- 4 Dog Barrier for SUV’s, Cars & Vehicles, Heavy Duty – Adjustable Pet Barrier
- 5 Walky Guard Adjustable Car Barrier for Pet Automotive Safety
- 6 AMEIQ 2-Layer Car Mesh Organizer, Seat Back Net Bag, Barrier of Backseat Pet Kids
- 7 Bushwhacker Paws n Claws Cargo Area Dog Barrier for SUV
- 8 Types of Pet Barrier for Cars
- 9 Metal Pet Barrier for Cars
- 10 Fabric Pet Barrier for Cars
- 11 Mesh Pet Barrier for Cars
- 12 Things to consider while choosing a Car Pet Barrier
- 13 Type of Vehicle
- 14 Type of Pet
- 15 Safety
What is a Car Pet Barrier?
A car pet barrier also known as a grill or a separator is a divider that separates the passenger area from the cargo area so that your pet can have its own private space. While driving you need to have utmost concentration and you can’t have your pets jumping around your shoulders. Hence, installing a pet barrier ensures that you have them confined in a separate place and that is generally your luggage area.
Why you need a pet barrier?
While you are travelling on your weekend or camping trips and taking your pet dog with you, it is always a tough task to keep your pets quiet. Hence you need a pet barrier that can in be installed in the cargo area of your car, so that you can keep your kids confined to the back space and keep them quiet while you concentrate on the road. You don’t want to get involved in a freaky accident just because you got distracted when you pet dog jumped on your shoulders. A dog barrier not only keeps your dog safe and protected in the cargo area, it also provides them with their own private space allowing them to play with their toys or relax a bit.
When it comes to choosing the correct barrier for your particular use, it essentially comes down to a couple of key points; how much you want to spend, how big your pupper is and how permanently you want to install the barrier.
Highland 2004500 Black Universal Pet Barrier
- DIMENSIONS: Fully extended 65” x 45” x 3”
- ADJUSTABLE FIT: Fully portable, easily installs in the cargo area of most SUVs, vans or wagons.
- COMPLETELY ADJUSTABLE: Adjustable barrier bars expand vertically and horizontally for a height of 31” to 45” and width of 39” to 65”.
- DESIGNED FOR SAFETY: See-through design eliminates blind spots while barrier safely keeps pets within cargo area and away from driver and passenger seats.
- DURABLE, STRONG: Constructed out of heavy-duty material with protective brace pads that won’t harm or damage the vehicle’s interior.
When it comes to making the best pet barriers for cars, Highland is one of the leading companies that has time and again comes up with innovative products to safeguard your pet and you while travelling. All their products are of the highest quality and adhere to all kinds of standards and guidelines and always exceeded the people’s expectations. Launched in 1945, Highland came up with the first idea to introduce a splash guard and ever since then has been supplying top quality products.
The highland 2004500 Black Universal Pet Barrier is a modern pet barrier that can confine your dog safely in the cargo section of your car away from the occupants and the driver. With the Highland 2004500 installed in your car, you never need to worry about any kind of distractions from your pets. Made using highly durable heavy gauge tubing, the barrier doesn’t provide the traditional look of a cage and since equipped with non-marring brace pads, it won’t damage your vehicle as well. It comes with a very sleek and modern look. Height is also adjustable to a maximum of 45 inches and width to upto 65 inches. And it is ideal to install in all kinds of vehicles and installation takes just a couple of minutes and there is no need to drill your vehicle to install the barrier.
The Highland Black Universal Pet Barrier is a smart pet barrier solution that comes with an open and unobstructed construction that allows you to monitor your pet all the time easily. It is completely portable and can be carried along with you wherever you go. Since it can be adjusted both horizontally and vertically, it can be easily installed in all kinds of vehicles including SUVs, vans, hatchbacks and wagons. Even though it is made using heavy duty materials for a strong and sturdy construction, the non-marring brace pads on the tubing ensures no damage is done to the interior of your car.
- Comes with a adjustable fit and hence suitable to install in all kinds of SUVs, vans and wagons
- Fully Portable
- Easy to Install
- Non-marring brace pads ensures no damage is done to your vehicles
- Made using heavy-duty material
- Highly durable
- Sleek styling
- Provides an open feel for your pets
- Adjustable Fit
- Doesn’t damage your interiors
- Provides an open environment and prevents blind spots
- Not suitable for naughty or strong dogs
Dog Barrier for SUV’s, Cars & Vehicles, Heavy Duty – Adjustable Pet Barrier
- Keeps Pet safe in the cargo area of Vehicle, Safely Away From Driver & Passengers
- Universal fit - Fully Adjustable to Accommodate Most cars, SUVs, hatchbacks
- Main Panel Measures L 35.5" H16.5, the adjustable side panels are L12" and H10.5, Please see the second image for more details
- Made of the highest quality Steel wire construction, Easy to install and remove - NO tools required
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEED – Your Purchase Is Covered By A Lifetime Warranty and Backed By 'Jumbl Pets’ Exceptional Quality & Service
The Jumbl Pet Dog Barrier for SUVs is one of the best dog barriers available in the market. It comes with a dog barrier that is completely adjustable and hence suitable to install on all kinds of cars, SUVS, hatchbacks and wagons. The adjustable pet barrier can easily fit in all vehicles as all you need to do is attach the barrier to the headrest and you don’t require any special tools for doing so.
And moreover it is specially designed to keep your pets safely in the cargo area and prevents them from jumping into the drivers section to disturb your concentration while driving. Hence, you never need to worry of your pets jumping on your shoulders and also provide a private space of their own to play with their toys or relax for a while. Made using heavy duty materials, it is not easy for your pets to push or pull it down. The barriers are also provided with protective brace pads to ensure that no damage is done to the interior of your car because of installing these pet barriers.
- Keeps your pet safe in the cargo area
- Fully adjustable design allows to fit in most type of vehicles
- Easy to install and remove
- No tools required
- Made using highly durable materials
- Strong and sturdy construction
- No damage done to your interiors
- Best and secure dog barrier
- 1 year limited warranty provided
- Not suitable for large SUVs
Walky Guard Adjustable Car Barrier for Pet Automotive Safety
- Maximum extension size: 18 inches high by 56 inches wide Minimum extension size: 12 inches high by 34 inches wide. May not work in all vehicles please measure your space.
- Made from high-quality powder-coated steel for medium to large dogs. not recommended for small dogs as they can slip thru the bars
- Vehicle must have adjustable headrest poles for the mounting to work, it will not work with fixed headrest. Please tighten clamps firmly.
- It will not work in vehicles that have an additional seat belt box in the middle of the backseat.
- Removing the guard is easy, just loosen off the tightening knobs and remove it from the headrest posts. Contact us for replacement parts and help with installation our customer service sheet is inside the box
WalkyGuard car barrier is an easy to install headrest mounted pet barrier for cars. Made using high quality powdered coated steel and is specially designed to fit to all kinds of vehicles. The barrier comes with adjustable horizontal and vertical bars so that you can easily adjust into SUVs, hatchbacks, wagons and vans. Any vehicles with a headrest can accommodate this pet barrier installing this pet barrier takes just a couple minutes as all you need to do is hook the barrier to your headrest.
Once you have your Walky Guard Adjustable Car barrier mounted to your headrest, you need not worry about your pets jumping into the front section. It also provide your pets with their own private space. It is extremely light weight and fully portable that you can easily carry it along wherever you go. And you don’t need any tools another helping hand to install the pet barrier as it can be done in just a few minutes. When you are not taking your pet along with you, it is easy to remove the pet barrier quickly. You just need to loosen up the knobs and remove the barrier from the headrest.
Certainly your dog may enjoy a day at the beach or at the park and the pet barrier can help you easily transport your pet at the cargo section of your vehicle without any trouble. It also ensures complete safety for your pets as it prevents it from jumping from the back to the front and also keeps your seats from getting dirty as well.
Walky Guard is constructed using top quality powdered coated steel to resist all kinds of scratches and advances from your dogs. No matter what size your dog is, the strong construction of the pet barrier ensures that it is not easy to pull or push the barrier.
- Comes with a adjustable horizontal and vertical bars
- Fits on all kinds of vehicles
- Constructed using high grade powdered coated steel
- Completely Portable
- Easy to install and remove
- Adjustable Fit
- No damage to your car interiors
- String and sturdy construction
- Rattles at high speed
- Not ideal for strong dogs
AMEIQ 2-Layer Car Mesh Organizer, Seat Back Net Bag, Barrier of Backseat Pet Kids
- THIS MESH BAG HAS FOUR METAL HOOKS: the upper 2 are aluminum alloy, and the below 2 are nickel plated steel.
- THIS PET BARRIER'S SIZE IS LARGE ENOUGH: height: 12.0'', width: 11.6'' (generally only 10.2'' or less), can completely cover the gap between the front two seats, and put more things in.
- MESH MATERIAL OF THIS CAR ORGANIZER IS ESPECIALLY STRONG: high quality nylon, Inelastic, the net bed made of it can lay 6 adults.
- INSTALLATION IS EXTREMELY CONVENIENT: on top, just buckle on the headrest column; below, hook on the hard edge of any object under the seat.
- THE ABOVE TWO STRAPS ARE ADJUSTABLE IN LENGTH AND THE NYLON MATERIAL HAVE NO ELASTICITY: it can be suitable for different models of cars, and prevents the whole sag due to too heavy things in the mesh bag
The AMEIQ 2-layer Car mesh organizer is a multi-purpose item that can double up as a barrier for your backset pets and also a storage bag to place your mobile phones, soda cans and other items. Though it is definitely not suitable for large pets, but an ideal solution for small pets to prevent them jumping to the front seat.
The mesh organizer comes equipped with 4 metal hooks where 2 upper hooks are made using aluminum alloy and the lower 2 are made using nickel plated steel. The pet barrier is large enough to cover the space between two front seats and can prevent your small pet dogs and cats from jumping into the front seat and disturbing your concentration while driving. You certainly don’t want to get involved in a freaky accident just because your pet jumped on to the steering wheel or blocked your view. And it is also a cheap barrier when compared with other metal barriers that comes at a higher price.
Setting up the mesh pet barrier is also very simple as you just need to hook the top two hooks on to the headrests and the bottom hooks under the seat. The straps also come in adjustable lengths so that you can fit these pet barriers cum organizer in all kinds of vehicles. Made using high-quality nylon it can resist all kinds of scratches and advances from your pet. Comes in an attractive black color and syncs well with your car interior.
- Comes with adjustable straps
- Easy to install and remove
- Made using top-grade nylon material
- Multipurpose item that acts as a pet barrier and a organizer
- Adjustable Straps
- Easily fits on all kind of vehicles
- Completely portable
- 2 years guarantee provided
- Not suitable for large dogs
Bushwhacker Paws n Claws Cargo Area Dog Barrier for SUV
- Barrier is made with scratch and tear resistent pet screen.
- Half inch light weight metal tubing maintains barriers shape and prevents dogs from squeezing over, under, or around barrier.
- Attaches in minutes to backseat headrests and either baby car seat brackets, tie down brackets, or around seat frame.
- Dimensions: 46" width x 21" height. Refer to last image for detailed dimensions.
- The best way to determine if it will fit is measure the width of your interior just behind the rear seats. Refer to last image for detailed dimensions.
The Bushwhacker Paws n Claws Cargo is a specially designed dog barrier for SUV model vehicles that can provide complete protection and safety for your pets. This rugged mesh barrier provides a complete private space for your pets to play with their toys or gently relax while you concentrate on your driving without any disturbance from your pets. Unlike other barriers made using metals that looks like a gate, this is a complete barrier and your pets cannot disturb you in way as they are complete blocked from the front seat.
Made using high quality durable pet screen that is tightly secured around string metal piping and can firmly secure to your seat. Since it is made using top grade materials and comes with a mesh design, it ensures that even your naughty pets can cause any kind of damage to the pet barrier. Whether your pet dog is small or big, this sturdy dog barrier can safely keep your pet in the cargo area. Since the dog barrier is specially designed for SUVs it cannot fit inside hatchbacks and other small vehicles. So if you are using an SUV and looking to take your pet dog along with you to your outdoor adventures, camping and weekend trips, then the Bushwhacker Paws n claws cargo area dog barrier is the best you can get.
The dog barrier is made using high quality pet screen that can provide resistance against all kinds of scratches and tears from your pets. The string metal tubing ensures that any attempt by your pets to bend of push the barriers is prevented. The dog barrier is easy to setup as you just need to attach the barrier around the seat frames or with the tie down brackets. It is also easy to remove when you are taking your dog with you.
- Provides complete protection for your pets
- Made using scratch and tear resistant pet screen
- Strong tubing prevents your pets from bending the barrier
- High-quality mesh design
- Easy to install and remove
- Blocks air flow into the cargo area
- Doesn’t fit on all vehicles
Types of Pet Barrier for Cars
When it comes to pet barrier for cars, there are mainly two types, metal and fabric barriers. Let’s see to them in detail:
Metal Pet Barrier for Cars
When it comes to metal pet barriers for cars they are highly suitable for people carrying naughty and strong dogs with them during their weekend and camping trips. These metal barriers helps to provide their pets to allow for a private space for your pets along with a safe and secure protection for your pets in the cargo area. These metal pet barriers are made using high quality metals that it is highly impossible for even large and strong pets to break or bend to enter the front portion of the car. But even though they are made up of metals, most of the models do come up with easy installation options that you just need to hook them up with the headrest of your seats. And because you buy a metal pet barrier for cars, it doesn’t have to be a cagey look as most of the metal barriers come in the form of gate like structures that just prevent your pets from jumping over to the drivers section.
But care should be taken before selecting a metal pet barrier as they come in all shapes and sizes and unless you buy a dog barrier that comes with adjustable sizes, you definitely need to take measurements of the inside of your cargo area to see if the pet barrier fits inside your car. But nowadays, most of the pet barriers for cars comes with adjustable metal tubing that you can extend based on the width of your cargo area. And the important aspect about metal barriers is that they are made using high grade materials that even strong or large dogs cannot break open or bend the barrier to enter the driver seat. It is always a good investment to secure your pets and also to ensure a trouble free driving without any worries of your pet distracting you while you are on the road. But on the other hand, metal pet barriers are costly when compared to fabric or mesh pet barriers as they provide a strong defense against the pets from crossing over to the front section.
Fabric Pet Barrier for Cars
On the other hand, fabric pet barrier for cars are largely inexpensive and a great solution for people carrying small pets along with them during their travel. These pet barriers are pretty much simple to install when compared to installing metal barriers as you just need to hook these barriers with the seat frames and with the tie down brackets. Some models available in the market can double up as both a pet barrier and also a storage option as you can easily store soda cans, mobile phones and other items in the storage area provided. Even though these fabric pet barriers are sufficient for small pets, they are largely incapable to house strong and large dogs. These fabric pet barriers are always susceptible to large dogs as they can easily tear them down and get to the driver’s seat easily. Hence, it is not always not recommended to get fabric pet barriers if you are looking to transport large or strong dogs.
Mesh Pet Barrier for Cars
If you are transporting naughty and large dogs, the best option is to go for mesh pet barriers as they can fully separate the driver’s area from the cargo section. Even metal barriers come up with large gaping holes that your pet dogs can sneak in their legs or head to distract you. If you are travelling along with a pet that is largely obedient and listens to your commands, then a metal barrier is mostly enough. But in case you are travelling with pet that is most of the times naughty and not listening to your orders, then you definitely need to confine them in a separate space so that you won’t get disturbed or distracted while you are driving. There are cases that you pet dogs are new to travelling in a vehicle and get excited with the sudden bumps and movements. And it is your responsibility to soften them and make sure that they won’t disturb you while you are driving your vehicle. When compared to metal and fabric pet barriers, the mesh barriers provide your pets with a complete isolation that you never need to worry about any distraction at all. These pet barriers completely divide the driver’s section with the cargo area that you hardly have any view to monitor your pet dog. But during long rides and if you are taking a large dog along with you, it is always recommended to go for a mesh pet barrier as it provides your pets with their own private space and also eliminates all worries of any trouble with your pets. But the only drawback with mesh pet barriers is that they block the air flow to the back of your vehicle and hence you need to make sure that sufficient air circulation is present in the cargo area.
Things to consider while choosing a Car Pet Barrier
When it comes to choosing the best car pet barriers, it is always a tough task as you can see the market is filled with a lot of products that is available in various sizes and materials. Hence you need to make sure that you do sufficient homework regarding the best pet barrier for your car. And that is the reason we’ve come with the best car pet carriers along with their description, important features, pros and cons to help you choose the right product to safely transport your favorite per.
And if you are still not satisfied, you can look to consider the following factors before choosing the best car per carrier. Please read through the entire article to understand the factors that you need to keep in mind before putting your money on a car pet barrier.
Type of Vehicle
When it comes to selecting a pet barrier, the foremost option to consider is the type of your vehicle. Since the pet barriers comes in various sizes and types that you need to consider the type of vehicle and choose a pet barrier that suits your vehicle. The reason that they need to look for their type or model of their vehicle as there are many pet barriers that area available in the market that are specially designed for certain models only. Hence if you are having an SUV and buying a pet barrier that can only fit inside a hatchback, then your pet can easily cross over to the drivers section and causing all kinds if trouble.
Type of Pet
Next important factor to consider is the type of pet that you will be taking along with you while travelling. So if you are just taking a small pet along with you, it is enough to install a fabric based pet barriers to prevent them getting hurt or to safeguard the drive during a long drive. But if you are carrying a large pet dog or a pet that is mischievous and naughty, then you should certainly go for barriers that are made using high quality made using top grade steel.
Another important aspect is to consider the safety of your pet while inside the barrier. If you do provide a barrier with cheap materials, then large dogs can easily push them forward or may bend them to gain access to the front portion of the vehicle. If you are transporting large and naughty pets, it is always recommended to go with mesh pet barriers as they provide a complete divide between the drivers and passengers area and the cargo area. Even though it does provide limited visibility to the cargo section, you can be certain that your pet is safe.